You love to exercise, but you hate the fact that you sweat so much. You love to wear sleeveless tanks in a number of bright colors, but you are embarrassed by the sweat stains that show if you buy something that is too light. In fact, if you do not find a way to cure excessive sweating soon you will have to limit yourself to just a few dark colored shirts that are easy to wash and avoid odor.
Everyone sweats when they work out, but not everyone sweats so much that they are embarrassed. There is a condition, however, called hyperhidrosis that can indeed be embarrassing. If you are looking for a way of preventing excessive sweating then you might consider seeing a doctor. With the latest hyperhidrosis treatments, many doctors can help their patients find the relief that they need to feel more clean and confident.
Do You Sweat an Excessive Amount?
The average person has two to four million sweat glands working as the body’s coolant system to protect it from overheating. The 8 million Americans, however, with hyperhidrosis sweat four to five times as much as the average individual. Fortunately, there are some treatments available that can help people limit this problem and get back to being their confident and comfortable selves.
Consider these facts and figures about the treatments that can help reduce reduce sweating and the impact that this condition has on both individuals and the economy:
- Affecting about 1% to 3% of the population, the most common cause of excessive sweating is called primary focal hyperhidrosis.
- Iontophoresis was introduced more than 50 years ago as a treatment for excessive sweating.
- Iontophoresis, sometimes referred to as a “no-sweat machine,” needs approximately six to 10 treatments to shut down the sweat glands.
- As a result, this means that people suffering from severe hyperhidrosis may need two to three iontophoresis treatments a week when they first begin the process.
- Most commonly occurring among people aged between the ages of 25 and 64, hyperhidrosis affects men and women equally.
- Indicating the likelihood of a genetic predisposition, 30% to 50% of these hyperhidrosis sufferers have another family member afflicted by hyperhidrosis.
If you are looking to cure excessive sweating then it is in your best interest to see a doctor as soon as possible and find out what options are available to you.