Do you have a primary care physician? For many Americans, the answer to that question is, “no.” A lot of young and healthy people do not give their health a second thought until they have a problem. For a number of people, the place they go for most of their health care needs is the emergency room. For them, it seems easier to go to the emergency department of a hospital that to conduct a primary care physician search.
5 Reasons to Conduct a Primary Care Physician Search:
- You will be healthier. Regular check ups are the best way to get and stay healthy. If you suffer from any chronic medical condition, you may already know how important it is to have a primary care physician. They can be instrumental in helping you manage your health problems such as high blood pressure, diabetes, Lupus or a number of other common problems. They can help you keep that problem in check. Even if you do not have any current medical problems that require consistent health care and monitoring, going to a family health clinic for a yearly check up can keep you healthy.
- Your primary care doctor will know you. Everyone’s base lines for a number of things is unique to them. For example, a normal temperature reading is 98.6 degrees Fahrenheit and a great blood pressure is considered to be 120/80. That may be what the textbook readings are but they may not be normal or good for you. When you develop a relationship with a family doctor, they get to know you and know what your “normal” readings are. If you show up at an emergency room, they have no way of knowing what your normals are and cannot provide you with the same quality of care as your primary care physician can.
- Your primary care physician also knows your family. There are a lot of conditions that are hereditary. A doctor who knows you and knows your family history knows what to look for and expect. If a large number of people in your family find themselves with a skin cancer diagnosis at one point in time or another, your primary care physician will know to look for that. The same thing can be said about high blood pressure and diabetes. Finding problems when they are small can help you stay healthy longer. Getting diabetes when it is pre-diabetes can make a bog difference in keeping you from developing diabetes, for instance.
- Your primary care doctor is the quarterback of your health care team. Most people need to see specialists. When you need to see someone else, your primary care doctor can keep track of all of your tests and medications. This will keep you healthier by preventing any unwanted interactions. It will also help streamline the care you are receiving from all of your doctors. This is one of the best reasons to do a primary care physician search.
- Your primary care doctor can tell you when you need an emergency room. If you have a medical problem that needs to be treated when your primary care doctor’s office is closed, what should you do? You have options. Going to the emergency room is expensive and takes a long time but less than 30% of all primary care practices are open at night and on weekends. The average wait time in an emergency room is about an hour and the average cost to the patient is $615. Your primary care doctor can tell you if you need to go to the hospital or can be treated in urgent care facilities or a walk in health clinic. They can tell you what constitutes a true medical emergency and let you know when you can seek out treatment at a family quick care center.
One of the best things you can do for your health is to conduct a primary care physician search. Having a good primary care doctor whom you trust and see on a regular basis is a great way to get and stay healthy. Your care will be better, cheaper and more convenient when you see a primary care doctor regularly.